Homestead trail work, Sept. 16, 2012
We had an excellent day working on a problem spot on Homestead trail in Bent creek thanks to Dan, Patrick, Julie and David working to improve rideability and reduce erosion where the trail crosses the tiny creek. I was dreading digging through the roots to get the right slope and depth for the rock armoring down the middle. It turned out the roots were mostly superficial. David cut the roots that were making the large step and that was all. We dug through clean dirt to get the bed for the armoring. We made one trip to our rock pile at Trails End. The big rock we used at the low end was a bear to get right, but Dan and Patrick won the wrassling match and got it in place. Julie worked to de-berm the curve above the problem area and create a new drain/grade reversal combo. Hopefully that will keep the water from reaching the problem area and will slow erosion there.